Blizzard has announced another set of balance changes coming to Hearthstone, and like the last few updates it focuses mostly on the new class, Demon Hunter. Though the update also packs balance changes for some other powerful decks currently dominating the meta, one class is clearly the biggest target.
Of the eight cards getting balance changes in the 17.6 update next week, three of them are Demon Hunter class cards. Those include Metamorphosis, Kayn Sunfury, and Warglaives of Azzinoth–all reliably aggressive Demon Hunter tools that have helped the class remain strong.
Other big changes are coming to strong cards used in popular Warrior, Mage, and Druid decks. And similar changes are coming to the neutral legendary Dragonqueen Alexstraza and the Rogue Galakrond. Rather than generating or drawing cards that cost 0 Mana, both of their effects will instead bring cards that cost 1 Mana. That retains the strong effect but keeps them from being played all at once or in conjunction with strong combo effects.
Heads up! Next week’s 17.6 patch will include balance changes for a handful of cards in Standard. Full patch details will be shared July 14.
⚙️Learn more: https://t.co/fIKpzDBeUP
— Hearthstone (@PlayHearthstone) July 9, 2020
Blizzard had said it designed Demon Hunter cards to be a little stronger than most on average, in part because it had some catching up to do with other classes that have amassed a much larger card pool over the years. It seems the developer may have overdone it, because Demon Hunter has been nerfed repeatedly in the few months since its release–including the fastest balance adjustments ever, just one day after release.
That initial rebalancing nerfed four Demon Hunter cards. Since then it’s readjusted six more Demon Hunter cards, mostly nerfs, and this will include three more. Despite the number of rebalanced cards, the class has remained competitive in the meta.
Check below for the full list of upcoming balance changes.
Hearthstone 17.6 Balance Adjustments
- Old: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (0). → New: Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (1).
- Old: Draw a weapon. Give it +1/+1. → New: Draw a weapon. Give it +1 Durability.
- Old: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 5 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back. → New: Swap your Hero Power to “Deal 4 damage.” After 2 uses, swap it back.
- Old: 3 Attack, 5 Health → New: 3 Attack, 4 Health.
Warglaives of Azzinoth
- Old: [Cost 5] → New: [Cost 6].
- Old: [Cost 6] → New: [Cost 7].
- Old: [Cost 2] → New: [Cost 3].
Galakrond, the Nightmare
- Old: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (1).
Galakrond, the Apocalypse (Rogue)
- Old: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 2 cards. They cost (1).
Galakrond, Azeroth’s End (Rogue)
- Old: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. It costs (0). → New: Battlecry: Draw 4 cards. They cost (1).
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.