The third-person survival shooter World War Z has a new update that turns on cross-play between PC and Xbox One, with PS4 getting added “at some point in the future.” We’ve compiled the full patch notes below.
This latest patch for World War Z is called the “Crossplay Update,” a free piece of content that is part of the game’s Season Two content roadmap. You can check out an overview of the roadmap below.
As you can see, the “Crossplay Update” introduces a number of new additions to World War Z, including four new extra character skins, more missions, adjustments to horde mode, and more. The headlining feature, however, is the inclusion of cross-play between PC (via the Epic Games Store) and Xbox One. With this new feature, PC and Xbox players can fight together in PvE; it can be turned on and off in the settings menu.
World War Z’s “Crossplay Update” also makes a number of quality-of-life improvements, including UI fixes, server stabilization, clipping issues, and much more.
World War Z Cross-Play Update
- Added Virus Sample functionality in Campaign:
- AI Director will randomly spawn containers with Virus Sample that players can pick up.
- Virus samples can spawn from Bombers that are taken down without them exploding.
- The containers are fragile and they will begin to apply negative effects to players as they break.
- If players will manage to finish the mission with containers intact, they will get increased rewards.
- AI Director can spawn several Virus Samples, Bomber will also drop them.
- Added 4 new weapon variants with unique perks:
- Pistol – Increased penetration and damage vs special zombies.
- Machine Pistol – Full auto variant, reloads primary weapon after a special zombie kill.
- Classic Battle Rifle – Semi-auto variant, no penetration but deals a lot of damage.
- Battle Rifle – Full auto variant.
- Thumper Grenade Launcher – Incendiary grenades.
- War Heroes character skin pack (included for Season Pass owners).
- Slightly reduced difficulty in Hard mode.
- Significantly reduced difficulty in Normal mode:
- Less Special Zombies will spawn in Normal mode.
- Increased preparation timer between waves by 20% in Normal mode.
- Supply points rewards will begin to scale down later in Normal mode.
- Added significantly more random pickups in Normal mode.
- Increased Auto Turret maximum ammo.
- Capped by 10 the amount of Auto Turrets that could be placed simultaneously.
- Fixed one of the shops not spawning items.
- Reduced the amount of ammo secondary weapons drain from ammo boxes by 50%.
- Reduced ammo crate cost from 100 to 70.
- Significantly increased both XP and currency rewards.
- Tweaked Extreme difficulty settings to restore pre-patch balance (it was changed to support crossplay).
- AI Director will spawn less secondary weapon pickups.
- Reworked Bomber drop, he will spawn better Primary and Heavy weapons when killed.
- Fixed several issues with perks stacking.
- Minor UI and localization fixes.
- Fixed several gameplay crashes.
- Fixed some gameplay bugs that were causing an inability to progress in levels.
- Fixed issue that allowed players to clip through geometry in some places.
PC Specific Fixes
- Added crossplay between Xbox in PvE.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.